It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trying to build Thermite. Missing map.h
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:51 pm 

I can't seem to find Map.h. It's supposed to be part of Thermite right? I have PolyVox build and the demos for that working.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Trying to build Thermite. Missing map.h
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:01 am 

Hi, I found Map.h in revision 1176. I downloaded that and see if I could make it work quick-n-dirty. Then I realize I'm stupid because you are probably refactoring as I'm using the code off trunk and not the stable release.

So never mind lol. And I assume if I disable Bullet for now it should build.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:05 am 

Hello, so I got the latest Thermite off SVN built with OgreBullet support turned off. I still can't get it to run because it crashes on me on calling Application::messageLogged, specially on the QString::fromStdString line. I don't know what is going on, maybe I need to build QT myself. I wasn't able to get QTOgre's demo to run either, so they may be related. Another issue is my main project which I plan to use alongside Thermite is built off Ogre 1.8, because I need the new instance manager off that (but it's not terribly urgent right now though).

I'm also leaning toward using PolyVox instead of messing with Thermite. I want to use Thermite because of all the features that it has which I will have to reinvent if I went with PolyVox. The plus though with starting with PolyVox is I'm also using OpenCL in my main project so it may be easier in the long run to work with PolyVox from the get-go.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 am 
Developer

Hi,

Ok, regarding Map.h - it doesn't exist anymore and the functionality has been moved accross into Volume.h in the 'scriptable' folder. What makes you think it's still needed - did I accidentally leave in a reference to it somewhere?

Not sure what going on with the crashing but if you can't get the QtOgre demo to run then the problem is almost certainly there. I did build Qt myself (I think from Git a few months ago) and my Ogre version is 1.7.1 I think. Can you run it in the debugger and see anything?

Regarding PolyVox vs Thermite, you've probably already seen the that PolyVox is a lot more mature and stable. PolyVox just provide the the core surface extraction functionality and the classes for storing the volume data, etc. You need to integrate it with other libraries yourself.

Thermite is where most of my developemt work goes at the moment which also helps me find problems with PolyVox. Currently I'm anticipating that interaction with Thermite will be done entirely through QtScript rather than C++, so there won't be much need to build Thermite from source. I'm still working on this, but expect to have a scriptable demo within a few weeks. However, it sounds like Thermite may be a bit too high-level if you want to be working with OpenCL.

p.s. Sorry for the slow reply, I don't have much internet access for a few days.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm 

Well the version I grabbed off SVN has references to Map in PhysicalEntity.h/cpp. I think I will work with PolyVox directly, thanks for the advice.

As for the crashing, you are referring to OgreQT or Thermite? In Thermite it crashes for me in... hmm Application. Okay, I didn't realize this was QTOgre. So yeah, it crashes on me in QTOgre. I probably did something wrong during the build. I may need to build QT myself too.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 pm 
Developer

beyzend wrote:
Well the version I grabbed off SVN has references to Map in PhysicalEntity.h/cpp.

Yep, that's a mistake. I didn't pick it up because it's wrapped in 'ENABLE_BULLET_PHYSICS' and I never build with this (the feature needs some work).
beyzend wrote:
I think I will work with PolyVox directly, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, that's probably best. It sounds like Thermite is too high level for what you are aiming at, and it still constantly changing anyway.

But do let me know if you have any questions...

Offline Profile