It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem running The OpenGl example QtOpenGLd4.lib NOT FOUND
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 pm 

Hi to Everyone!
I have built the solution and everything seems working fine, but I got this error when I try to run the OpenGlExample Project... I have already checked... both in the addtional dependencies path...and the file .lib is already linked... the dll and the object file are also in the proper lib (C:\Qt\4.7.2\lib)...so I do not know hot to solve this issue...

Finally, I would like to use the PolyVox technology in my project... but I am using VC2008 and I think this may be a problem... anyway, I would like to use just the PolyVox Core files... so, is it possible to include those files in my project and use them, or I need to link other dependecies and include other files? Basically I am just interested in the core algorithm and all the rendering process will be handled by myself (in directx).

Thanks very much for your help, and sry if I started a new topic, but I really want to use this engine in my project xd.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Problem running The OpenGl example QtOpenGLd4.lib NOT FO
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:53 pm 

I don't know about those examples, but I can tell you that I'm currently using poyvox on a console program :D no other libs required other than polyvoxcore! :P
What I mean is that I use polyvox for doing my own calculations and the way I display the results is printing stuff on the std::cout. (I print a lot of numbers, each number representing a cell). I will hopefully add a 3d rendering soon.

Back on your problem, I understand you got the executable compiled and linked but you can't run it.. Have you tried putting every needed dll in the same folder your executable is?

If you fear not being able to run in VC2008, you could do your very first try by compiling it and setting/extracting a voxel from the volume and just printing on cout to be sure it will work properly.

What's your project about? Minecraft-esque stuff or what?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
Developer

Alhaziel wrote:
Hi to Everyone!
I have built the solution and everything seems working fine, but I got this error when I try to run the OpenGlExample Project... I have already checked... both in the addtional dependencies path...and the file .lib is already linked... the dll and the object file are also in the proper lib (C:\Qt\4.7.2\lib)...so I do not know hot to solve this issue...

Just to be clear, are you having a problem building the example application or running it? You do not need the .lib file to run the application, only to build it.

In order to build, you need to make sure the .lib exists in 'C:\Qt\4.7.2\lib', and you need to check it is in your additional dependancies. I assume you have built PolyVox using CMake? This should have set up the additional dependancies for you. Also, be aware that 'QtOpenGLd4.lib' is different from 'QtOpenGL4.lib' - the one with a 'd' is from the debug build of Qt.

If you have built but cannot run then you do not need the .lib file but you need the .dll file. Again be aware there that 'QtOpenGLd4.dll' is different from 'QtOpenGL4.dll'. You need to make sure the .dll is somewhere in your system path (which might not include 'C:\Qt\4.7.2\lib') or in your working directory (which might not be the same folder as your executable).

Alhaziel wrote:
Finally, I would like to use the PolyVox technology in my project... but I am using VC2008 and I think this may be a problem... anyway, I would like to use just the PolyVox Core files... so, is it possible to include those files in my project and use them, or I need to link other dependecies and include other files? Basically I am just interested in the core algorithm and all the rendering process will be handled by myself (in directx).

The use of OpenGL and Qt is only for the examples - PolyVox core does not use these. PolyVox core is written in standard C++ with no dependancies, but it does use parts of the new C++0x standard. Some of these features are not part of VS2008 but are in VS2010, so if you are using VS2008 you will need to have Boost installed. But I'm guessing you do have this, or you wouldn't have got as far as the linker errors above.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:00 pm 

thx for the reply, I just added the PolyVox library to my project I ll try to print out in the debug window something and I ll let you know! i think I can still follow the tutorial to learn how to extract data from the PolyVox functions and replace the openGL rendering with directx rendering functions.

And yes, I built everything, and it s fine I just miss the .dll that is in the C:\Qt\4.7.2\bin folder, but I have also copied the .dll in the release (the .dll without "d" ) and debug folder (with d)... but it is still not finding it... I ll try again and I ll let you know...

And for what concern my project... I am creating a simple graphic application which simulates a meteor storms... at the moment everithing is done.. (I need jhust to improve the particle effects..) but my terrain is not destructible... so I wanted to let meteors destroy it.

EDIT:

I solved it, now it runs and works, thx very much for your help, it was a very noob mistake.
Is there around any explanation on which functions to look at to enable the destruction of the mesh? I am looking at the documentation, but it seems really big. anyway thx again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:30 am 
Developer

Alhaziel wrote:
I solved it, now it runs and works, thx very much for your help, it was a very noob mistake.
Is there around any explanation on which functions to look at to enable the destruction of the mesh? I am looking at the documentation, but it seems really big. anyway thx again.

Glad you solved it :-)

For the destruction, it's simply a case of modifying the volume via the setVoxelAt() and then extracting the mesh again. Then replace your old mesh with the new one you just extracted. For small volumes this is all there is to it. For larger volumes (perhaps more than 64x64x64) you will want to break you mesh down into regions, so that when part of the volume is modified you only need to regenerate the mesh for that part. The surface extractors take a 'region' parameter in their constructor which is used for this purpose.

Offline Profile