It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Calling out to all interested :)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:09 am 

Hi all!

Fantastic to see how talented and bright your many projects look!!! Congrats!

Please allow me to present a new project; Creating virtual "playable" MMO biospheres full of intelligent lifeforms. All interested in joining us and be part of creating something unique is MOST welcome!

The vision is to be able to visit a "world"(s) (globe-shaped, with gravity, heat provided from the "sun" etc.) where all elements (from rocks, sand, water, stone etc. to air, rain, snow to lifeforms like grass, trees and animals/creatures) are created NOT from hollow polygons, but consist of basic atoms, and as such can be "altered" - fx. walking in the grass will leave grass bended/broken, footprints etc., trees can be chopped/crafted, the lifeforms are intelligent (advanced AI simulations with rules for living (feed/drink/flee/fight/sleep/reproduce algorithms etc).

There are currently a lot of very promising projectson the forum here - and out there on YouTube - but (correct me if I'm wrong) currently none of the projects are covering the full spectre from universal laws of physics, to planetary AND mini-level object details, atom-altering, intelligent AI, multiuser edit/creation and MMO gameplay.

So I'm trying to invite brilliant and talented people from all the different areas of creating such a large task (from physicists, medical doctors, computer programmers, graphic designers, biologists etc), all sharing the same idea (or part of it) to - as a team - create a virtual biosphere of until now unseen beauty and interactivity.

We need more people (obviously!) - so I hope you will excuse this invite - and hope some of you will join us.

Best regards
Adam

(we can use our Google Group "virtual biosphere" - or if its possible to form groups in this site we can all join here?)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Calling out to all interested :)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 am 
Developer

As I said in my email I won't be able to help, but good luck with your project. However, you should realise the size of what your proposing... Voxeliens has taken us over a year to complete and it was the simplest Voxel game we could think of.

Also, check out http://procworld.blogspot.com if you didn't already. It's not as grand as what you are describing but it's a step in the right direction.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 am 

i have an idea - instead of trying to program all the elements of the universe (maybe it would take the same time like the real evolution) - you could use polyvox to display the "theory of everything" (TOE). use a volume in 3D-HD and and render the "theory of everything" (TOE) in a function with parameters time, degree of longitude, degree of latitude and strangeness, so you can display everything in the past (who really shot Kennedy?), in the presense (you sitting in front of the computer or what does Gemma Arterton atm ;-) ?) and the future (how implodes the world 21.12.2012 and what aliens land with their UFOs on 22.12.2012 for sightseeing?). with strangeness greater 0.0 you can display other worlds (parallelworlds, fantasyworlds...), but WARNING you should never display worlds with strangeness > 1.0.

Code:
void displayTheoryofEverything(lftime time, lfloat dlongitude, lfloat dlatitude, lfloat strangeness, PolyVox::SimpleVolume<PolyVox::MaterialWorld>& volData)
{
   //This three-level for loop iterates over every voxel in the volume
   for (int z = 0; z < volData.getWidth(); z++)
   {
      for (int y = 0; y < volData.getHeight(); y++)
      {
         for (int x = 0; x < volData.getDepth(); x++)
         {
               volData.setVoxelAt(x, y, z, here insert the theory of everything (TOE));
         }
      }
   }
}

The "theory of everything" link to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything
ok the only problem is that you first have to find the "theory of everything" (TOE).

Gemma Arterton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_Arterton

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am 

so you're trying to create a 3d cellular automaton with polyvox, with a voxel size of 1mm x 1mm x 1mm?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 am 

David Williams wrote:
As I said in my email I won't be able to help, but good luck with your project. However, you should realise the size of what your proposing..

Thats why we need to start off very simplistic. There are some promising planets made of voxels out there, and my hope is to have access to a multiuser engine that allows us to at first create a simple grass-simulation (neural network).

Not being a programmer, its ofc easier said than done - thats why I hope people will team up :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:52 pm 

Adam wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Not being a programmer, its ofc easier said than done - thats why I hope people will team up :)

Well, you do not need to be a programmer to get more into the specifics.

your idea is great, but I believe it needs more detail.
My previous question was not answered e.g.
In addition it would be interesting what kind of speeds you'd like to achieve for natural changes (like grass moving/growing).
Algorithms or more detail in your thoughts about your method of ToE would be interesting, too.

Offline Profile