It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Community Wiki and todo list
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 am 
Developer

Hey guys, it's been requested a couple of times so I've added a community Wiki to the site. It's using DocuWiki and you can find it here (the link is also on the front page):

http://www.thermite3d.org/dokuwiki/

Anyone can read it, if you want to edit then you will need to register. I would recommend using the same name that you use for the forums for simplicity.

I've added a developers todo list because I think it's useful for you guys to kow what is coming down the pipeline, and I've also moved the voxel resources stuff across from the main site. I think it makes more sense for this to be a community effort anyway.

If any of you want to fill in skeleton code for using OpenGL, Direct3D, or Ogre then feel free to do so.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any particular suggestions or questions.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Community Wiki and todo list
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:16 am 

Nice work! There is already some useful and interesting information in the wiki! :)
Oh and some offtopic stuff about your TODO list: I would really like some sort of face-merging algorithm. I guess I'll hit the rendering-speed-limit a lot faster than the memory-limit (you know what I mean ;) ). Maybe taking into consideration what the others have done so far about this on the forum might be good, too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:28 am 
Developer

Actually that was what I meant by 'Make decimator work with cubic mesh'. Mesh decimation is the same as simplification, and it's definitely something I want to work on (as it already mostly works for the Marching Cubes mesh). I've renamed the task to make it clearer :-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:15 pm 

Thanks for making it clear. And in fact I just wanted to motivate you to work on that part as early as possible ;)
I think with face merging working having the hidden sides of volumes rendered will be much less of a problem than it is now. Maybe I can save the work trying to do something about it then.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:29 pm 
Developer

Yeah, it's probably the next thing I'll do in PolyVox. But as I've just done the A* stuff I need to spend some time in Thermite and/or game code. Then I'll get back to it :-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:47 pm 

Hey Dave, do you think that something I have already posted here belongs in the wiki?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
Developer

I was wondering about your face-merging stuff... How easy is it for someone to drop into their code? It might be less relevant once PolyVox has a similar feature, but on the other hand I won't be converting to quads (just merging triangles). I guess it depends how easy it is for you to seperate it out from your code.

I also added a code snippets section because 'PolyVox Extensions' sounds too grand for most stuff. I'd be quite interested in seeing you fixed function texturing code in here as I don't think anyone else has tried using the fixed function pipeline.

[Edit:] I mention the fixed function stuff specifically, because there is already a tutorial which uses OpenGL and sets up the index/vertex buffers. So there's no need to cover this (unless you want to mention display lists) but the fixed function texturing is new territory.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:52 pm 

The quad merging code is fairly simple to integrate.
One SurfaceMesh->Two functions->Quad vector with the new indices, normals and UV coords stretch coeficients.

On the other hand, my fixed pipeline texturing needs batching and material support at the least. I won't release half assed code :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:55 pm 

The thing is, quad merging prepares stuff to work with the fixed pipeline :S

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 pm 

I will look into adding some code snippets.

Offline Profile