It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Terrain rendering
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:04 am 

So, it's only been about a month since I've started this project. I try to give an hour a day to it but I don't always get to. Despite this I'm really happy how things are turning out so far and especially how easy it has been to interface with PolyVox. Anyway, I plan to keep videos of my progress.

I post them here if anybody is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs16_w ... 6tQ/videos

Thanks.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Terrain rendering
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:54 pm 
Developer

It's looking really good. It is definitely improved by the low-pass filtering. How are you generating the heightmaps? Are they procedural or imported from another tool?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Terrain rendering
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:26 pm 

For now I'm just reading the binary data from a grayscale image using SDL2 API and using each pixel value to fill the volume with. Before the low-pass filtering it looked especially bad because the heightmap I'm testing with was scaled down from a much larger size... If I took the time to make it properly it probably wouldn't of been so bad.

***EDIT***
I went back and tried with the original heightmap image and it looked fantastic even without low-pass filtering. It still was blockish but pretty smooth, so I'm going to keep the filtering but definitely was me just being silly with the image. It's pretty amazing what that low-pass filter can do for bad data.

At some point I will make it able to do it procedurally as well. I hope to also create some simple tools to edit the terrain with as well. Then of course save the data and load it back. Basically, by the end of it I hope to have a very simple map editor.

Offline Profile