It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paging Volume (Previously: Streaming Volume)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:31 am 

I didn't even start with the Tutorial. I will do it, but not within the next few days, so that'll have to be included later.

I'm curious, do you think it would be hard to take out just the voxel scene manager from thermite and get it working with paging but without all the rest of thermite? or is it tightly bound into thermite?
I haven't looked at it at all yet, but if you say it's possible, I'll definitly give it a try. (code reuse and not inventing wheels all over again ^^)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm 
Developer

ker wrote:
I'm curious, do you think it would be hard to take out just the voxel scene manager from thermite and get it working with paging but without all the rest of thermite?

Thermite doesn't really have a voxel scene manager, it just uses the default scene manager which is based on bounding volumes. There was an voxel scene manager in the original version but it didn't do anything interesting (I was new to Ogre and didn't know how else I was supposed to render stuff).

By all means look in Thermite for ideas and stuff of interest, but I think you'll find it's quite messy and hard to extract stuff.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 pm 

not sure about about whatever latest version might be, but the version I have has a problem.

I want to save/load from file but the callback function has no for me to add additional information as to what files to load it from.

Unless I made a mistake, it appears that the functions I made has got to be static so I can't retrieve it from some class values either.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:18 am 

it's as simple as binding the callback to a member of your class:

bind(&YourClass::memberFunction, pPointerToObjectOfYourClass, some_argument, _1, _2);

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 am 

I actually tried that and it didn't work. Maybe because I am using VS2010 and polyvox (and me) use std there instead of boost?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 am 

std might have troubles with many arguments.
david created a polyvox_bind... I don't know how powerful that is, but you can try that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 am 

is this version still in the sub svn or did it get merged to the main svn? I still have an older test version too, should get the latest one, so which SVN should I download?

Also is there any patch coming related to paging or is it done?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 am 
Developer

I think you can pass a member function to std::function and/or boost::function though I have to say I don't know the syntax. I'm away from my development machine for a few days so I can't test it out now, but I'll have a look when I'm back if you haven't fixed it. I think this link might help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5154116/stdfunction-to-member-function

The code is still in the RLE branch, and you probably should get the latest version though there may be a few small breaking changes. I'm going to write a bit more documentation this weekend, but regardless of how far I get I think I'll merge the code back to the trunk next week. I'd really like to see it merged, and then Matt can get on with moving it to Git.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:49 pm 

was a boolean to test if a chunk was modified got added yet? (so we know if to save to disk during unload or not)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:30 pm 
Developer

No, this hasn't been added. It might make sense to add it, or it might make sense if the save function simply wasn't called in this case. We'll have to see, but only once we are back on the trunk.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next