It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: First steps problems: build install
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:08 pm 
Developer

corum wrote:
I know, I'm becoming quite boring... :P

Not at all, I'm glad to improve the software. For each person who reports these kind of issues there will be several who just give up... so it's good to get it fixed :-)

corum wrote:
note: say ‘typename PolyVox::SimpleVolume<VoxelType>::Block’ if a type is meant

I'm quoting this compiler message because you may see it again, even though I *should* have fixed that particular occurance (update and test). If you see it again you might be able to fix it yourself by adding 'typename' as I did in this commit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 am 

Hey guys, we did it!!
Libraries are built with no errors, but now I've problems with examples. :-)
I commented out all the examples in the cmake root config file, all but the OpenGL one.
This time I'll try to work it out by myself. That's the error dump, just for documentation purposes.
Thanks again for your patience. :)

[ 45%] Building CXX object examples/OpenGL/CMakeFiles/OpenGLExample.dir/glew/glew.cpp.o
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp: In function ‘void* NSGLGetProcAddress(const GLubyte*)’:
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:80: warning: ‘NSAddImage’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/mach-o/dyld.h:230)
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:80: warning: ‘NSAddImage’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/mach-o/dyld.h:230)
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:83: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘char*’
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:89: warning: ‘NSLookupSymbolInImage’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/mach-o/dyld.h:182)
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:89: warning: ‘NSLookupSymbolInImage’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/mach-o/dyld.h:182)
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:91: warning: ‘NSAddressOfSymbol’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/mach-o/dyld.h:188)
/polyvox/examples/OpenGL/glew/glew.cpp:91: warning: ‘NSAddressOfSymbol’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/mach-o/dyld.h:188)
make[2]: *** [examples/OpenGL/CMakeFiles/OpenGLExample.dir/glew/glew.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [examples/OpenGL/CMakeFiles/OpenGLExample.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:26 pm 
Developer

It looks like the errors are occuring in GLEW, a library which is used by the examples to access OpenGL functionality on Windows (I forget the Linux situation). I have no idea if this library works under MacOS or even if it is needed.

Do you have much experience with OpenGL or other libraries under MacOS? Maybe you can get by without actually running the examples - just looking at them to see how they work?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:37 pm 

David Williams wrote:
Do you have much experience with OpenGL or other libraries under MacOS? Maybe you can get by without actually running the examples - just looking at them to see how they work?

Hi David.
No, sorry, I have little experience with Mac OSX and XCode. But I'm going to try anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:28 pm 

Hi. I'm still here, after a couple of troubles that forced me to move from my home city to preserve my job...
Anyway, I did a sort of workaround by removing the original glew.cpp from original CMakeLists.txt inside each example directories, and replacing it with the latest glew.c from the tar.gz archive coming from their site, pushing the related source file in place.

Still having problems with the astarpathfinder stuff, but I can get a raw executable (unix) , and when I run it I get:

Initialising GLEW...success
OpenGL Implementation Details:
GL_VENDOR: Intel Inc.
GL_RENDERER: Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine
GL_VERSION: 1.4 APPLE-1.6.36
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20
Error: You need OpenGL version 1.5 to run this example.

How can I force an earlier OpenGL version over 1.5?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 am 
Developer

This is a little outside the scope of PolyVox, as you problem appears to be with OpenGL/GLEW. I don't actually know much about OpenGL or MacOS so I can't really tell you how to increase the version you have available.

However, I can tell you that the PolyVox example requires OpenGL 1.5 because (apparently) this is the version which introduced support for vertex buffer objects, and so the example checks for this on startup.

Code:
//Check our version of OpenGL is recent enough.
//We need at least 1.5 for vertex buffer objects,
if (!GLEW_VERSION_1_5)
{
  std::cout << "Error: You need OpenGL version 1.5 to run this example." << std::endl;
  exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}

But actually the example also happens to contain an old code path which uses openGL immediate mode. You could try commenting out the check above, and then switching to the old code path by finding the following line:

Code:
m_bUseOpenGLVertexBufferObjects = true;

And changing it to false.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:36 pm 

David Williams wrote:
Code:
m_bUseOpenGLVertexBufferObjects = true;

And changing it to false.

May all the gods bless you, David! :)
I followed the quoted suggestion, and finally had the pleasure to get polyvox working on my macbook. :)
Here is what I see: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759831/Scherm ... .25.36.png

Please accept my apologies if I've driven the discussion outside the scope of this forum.
Thanks again. :)

Offline Profile