It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Procedurally generated terrain with overhangs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:20 am 

As promised, I actually wrote an article about procedural terrain generation with overhangs, making use of 2D and 3D noise! And of course PolyVox ;)

I decided to put it on my blog, so have a look!

But we can't have a showcase topic without pictures, can we?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Procedurally generated terrain with overhangs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 am 
Developer

Interesting stuff, I had a read of your article and also the one you linked to about different noise libraries. I can imagine that in the future we might make some kind of terrain generation plugin for Cubiquity so it was interesting to read you opinions of them.

We're also in the process of moving the Wiki to BitBucket. Once we have done this it would be interesting to have a section on external links to PolyVox related articles such as this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:34 am 

Excellent work! I made a similar deep dive into generating terrain and researching noise libraries. Its interesting to see we came to the same conclusions regarding noise libraries. I am a fan of ANL over the other alternatives I found.

However I was curious about the multithreading you mentioned. ANL is pretty single threaded due to the caches it uses internally. Did you change it to be multithreaded as you mentioned in your post? If not, how would you propose changing it to be multithreaded?

All in all I will be studying your writeups more to work on improving my clunky implementation. Its always nice to see the way somebody else approached the problem.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:41 pm 

Late answer, sorry.
I was kinda busy with other stuff for our project and did not yet have the time to revisit 3D terrain generation.

Actually, I never tried out ANL + multithreading.
I just assumed that splitting the generation into parts would do the trick. Like 4 equally split terrain parts, each in its own thread, each using ANL to generate the noise. I'm not aware of anything inside ANL that would prevent this, but I did not have a deep look. Given, this idea would not make ANL multi-threaded, but rather use ANL in different threads.

What I did, though, was porting part of ANL to Haxe and in doing so I noticed a LOT of things one could do to improve ANL performance. I'll most likely port those improvements back to C++ once we need it again.

Offline Profile