It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Build questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:03 am 

Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm currently enjoying the idea of voxels and dynamically generated environments (minecraft was fun for a few days). Not unlike every other armchair programmer I see in forums regarding voxels, I want to learn more and play with something. Unfortunately I'm having problems right out of the gate.

I need to admit that most of this is way beyond me. It's been a long time since I've touched a compiler, let alone all these complex dependencies. My current programming(scripting is probably more accurate) groove has settled in a place I can comfortably work out of notepad.

With that said, I find this voxel stuff fascinating, and I've decided to stop here as a place to see if I can learn and maybe even contribute - if I can get up to speed. So if I'm too far behind and not worthy of help, I understand completely.

I downloaded the latest source as of a couple of days ago, and somewhat struggled to get an environment going. I had some hurdles, but I worked through those. But I'm stuck now with what seems to be a linking problem in the building process.

I installed all the required programs (on windows) except for the document generating options. So I have Cmake 2.8.7, codeblocks 10.05 with minGW and the gigantic Qt enviroment. I think I've properly compiled with Cmake using: CMake -G "CodeBlocks - MinGW Makefiles", and have since loaded BasicExample, polyVoxCore and polyVoxUtil into the codeblocks workspace.

When I try to build BasicExample I get 183 errors, all of which seem to be undefined reference errors. I hope it's a simple fix, or I'm missing something in the IDE to make this work.

Here is the build messages:

CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp|| undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp|| undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.text$_ZN12OpenGLWidgetD1Ev[OpenGLWidget::~OpenGLWidget()]+0x36)||undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'|
int) const]+0xf)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
)]+0xf)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
unsigned short)]+0x13)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
:~SimpleVolume()]+0x4c)||undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'|
:~SimpleVolume()]+0x64)||undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'|
:SurfaceMesh()]+0xc)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
:~SurfaceMesh()]+0xc)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
:execute()]+0x12)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.text$_ZNSt16invalid_argumentD1Ev[std::invalid_argument::~invalid_argument()]+0x16)||undefined reference to `std::logic_error::~logic_error()'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.text$_ZNSt16invalid_argumentD1Ev[std::invalid_argument::~invalid_argument()]+0x2a)||undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.text$_ZNSt16invalid_argumentD0Ev[std::invalid_argument::~invalid_argument()]+0x16)||undefined reference to `std::logic_error::~logic_error()'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.text$_ZNSt16invalid_argumentD0Ev[std::invalid_argument::~invalid_argument()]+0x2a)||undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'|
unsigned short)]+0x19)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
unsigned short)]+0x7d)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'|
unsigned short)]+0xa1)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'|
unsigned short)]+0xb6)||undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'|
unsigned short)]+0xde)||undefined reference to `std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(std::string const&)'|
unsigned short)]+0xf3)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
unsigned short)]+0x10f)||undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'|
unsigned short)]+0x13c)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
unsigned short)]+0x154)||undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
unsigned short)]+0x15f)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
unsigned short)]+0x187)||undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'|
unsigned short)]+0x191)||undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
unsigned short)]+0x1a8)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
unsigned short)]+0x1f2)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'|
unsigned short)]+0x216)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'|
unsigned short)]+0x22b)||undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'|
unsigned short)]+0x253)||undefined reference to `std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(std::string const&)'|
unsigned short)]+0x268)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
unsigned short)]+0x284)||undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'|
unsigned short)]+0x2b1)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
unsigned short)]+0x2c9)||undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
unsigned short)]+0x2d4)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
unsigned short)]+0x2fc)||undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'|
unsigned short)]+0x306)||undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
unsigned short)]+0x31d)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
unsigned short)]+0x5cc)||undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)'|
unsigned short)]+0x782)||undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'|
unsigned short)]+0x804)||undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)'|
:Block::~Block()]+0x18)||undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)'|
:~vector()]+0xc)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x16)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x91)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0xb2)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0xc7)||undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0xec)||undefined reference to `std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(std::string const&)'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0xfe)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x114)||undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x132)||undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x144)||undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x14f)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x174)||undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x19d)||undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x1ae)||undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
:Block::initialise(unsigned short)]+0x21b)||undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)'|
:~_Vector_base()]+0xc)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
)]+0x2ab)||undefined reference to `__cxa_begin_catch'|
)]+0x31a)||undefined reference to `__cxa_rethrow'|
)]+0x341)||undefined reference to `__cxa_end_catch'|
)]+0x310)||undefined reference to `__cxa_begin_catch'|
)]+0x38c)||undefined reference to `__cxa_rethrow'|
)]+0x3b6)||undefined reference to `__cxa_end_catch'|
)]+0x2ad)||undefined reference to `__cxa_begin_catch'|
)]+0x31c)||undefined reference to `__cxa_rethrow'|
)]+0x343)||undefined reference to `__cxa_end_catch'|
) const]+0x36)||undefined reference to `std::__throw_length_error(char const*)'|
unsigned int)]+0xd)||undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'|
) const]+0x36)||undefined reference to `std::__throw_length_error(char const*)'|
)]+0x24)||undefined reference to `std::__throw_bad_alloc()'|
)]+0x32)||undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'|
)]+0x3f)||undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'|
)]+0x32)||undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'|
)]+0xc)||undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
)]+0xbf)||undefined reference to `__cxa_begin_catch'|
)]+0xdd)||undefined reference to `__cxa_rethrow'|
)]+0x100)||undefined reference to `__cxa_end_catch'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTVSt16invalid_argument[vtable for std::invalid_argument]+0x10)||undefined reference to `std::logic_error::what() const'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTISt16invalid_argument[typeinfo for std::invalid_argument]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTISt11logic_error[typeinfo for std::logic_error]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(main.cpp.obj)main.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTISt9exception[typeinfo for std::exception]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::cout'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::cout'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::endl<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ostream::operator<<(std::ostream& (*)(std::ostream&))'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::endl<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ostream::operator<<(std::ostream& (*)(std::ostream&))'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, unsigned char const*)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, unsigned char const*)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ostream::operator<<(unsigned int)'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTI12OpenGLWidget[typeinfo for OpenGLWidget]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTI9QGLWidget[typeinfo for QGLWidget]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTI7QWidget[typeinfo for QWidget]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__vmi_class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTI12QPaintDevice[typeinfo for QPaintDevice]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp:(.rdata$_ZTI7QObject[typeinfo for QObject]+0x0)||undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info'|
CMakeFiles\BasicExample.dir\objects.a(OpenGLWidget.cpp.obj)OpenGLWidget.cpp:(.text$_ZN12OpenGLWidgetD0Ev[OpenGLWidget::~OpenGLWidget()]+0x36)||undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Region.cpp.obj):Region.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Region.cpp.obj):Region.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(VertexTypes.cpp.obj):VertexTypes.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(VertexTypes.cpp.obj):VertexTypes.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_sj0'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(std::string const&)'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::terminate()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::allocator<char>::allocator()'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__cxa_allocate_exception'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `std::invalid_argument::invalid_argument(std::string const&)'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__cxa_free_exception'|
C:\Users\lh\Download\PolyVox\PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67\library\PolyVoxCore\libPolyVoxCore.a(Utility.cpp.obj):Utility.cpp|| undefined reference to `__cxa_throw'|
||=== Build finished: 183 errors, 0 warnings ===|

I would surely appreciate any help.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Build questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 pm 
Developer

I don't use MinGW so I can't offer any direct experience here, but the 'gxx_personality' errors that you are getting to start with do not appear to be related to PolyVox. It looks like it is probably this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7751 ... nality-sj0

Which can apparently arise when you mix libraries built with different compilers and/or with different exception models. Can you think what would cause this? Did you download a prebuilt Qt (which might not match?) or did you build it yourself? I don't really know beyond that... it seems like it is a GCC specific issue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm 

Thank you for your reply David.

I did find that thread on my own as well. The Qt I downloaded was large (1.5g) and I didn't compile it; it's a full blown IDE. I did have some problems getting Qt into the make step, but I resolved it at least to the point it wasn't asking about Qt. Hopefully that is where I went wrong. Maybe I'll remove everything and start over. I have about 20 hours into this and I'm still looking at the same errors, so I suppose it won't hurt to start again.

Thanks again!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm 
Developer

Before worrying about PolyVox you should probably spend some time to test if Qt is indeed working correctly. For example, can you build the examples which come with Qt? Or follow a Qt tutorial on the web? It may be that Qt isn't actually the problem.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Qt isn't actually needed to use PolyVox. It's only required to build and run the examples, so if you happy to just read them and then work with a different framework then that is also possible.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 am 

I uninstalled Qt and downloaded and installed the smaller Qt library package. I remade the project and was able to build the basic example. So it seems I made a mistake in choosing what Qt to download. But then, I then ran into a qtcore4.dll missing error when trying to run the example exe. qt4core.dll is available, so I copied it into the system32 directory with no luck, and tried running regsrv32 to register the .dll, but windows said it could not register it. I also uninstalled/regclean/reinstalled everything. I then tried running make with dynamic libraries on and static libraries off, and all 183 errors came back. Reverting to static libraries did not clear the errors.

I did create a restore point before installing the qt sdk, but reverting to that restore point has completely hosed my computer, so I guess it will be a little bit before I can try again. Or maybe I can try on my notebook.

Just out of curiosity, what environment setup are running with, David (or anyone that may have conquered similar issues)?

:-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 am 
Developer

edacsac wrote:
I then ran into a qtcore4.dll missing error when trying to run the example exe. qt4core.dll is available, so I copied it into the system32 directory with no luck, and tried running regsrv32 to register the .dll, but windows said it could not register it.

It sounds like you were pretty close. I've never copied the .dlls into system32 and neither have I registered them (not actually sure what that is?!). I think in my current setup I have added the Qt .dll folder to my PATH variable though actually I'm not certain about this. You can also just copy them into the same directory as your executable (try launching through explorer as IDEs sometimes modify the working directory).

edacsac wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what environment setup are running with, David (or anyone that may have conquered similar issues)

I'm on a Windows 7 machine with Visual Studio 2010 express. It's available for free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... ns/express

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm 

Woohoo I got working! What a battle. I'm not even sure what I did to be honest. Once I got one thing fixed I ran into another issue - rinse, repeat. The toughest one was during make, it couldn't find the .inl files which where plainly in the directory it was looking for them in. That drove me crazy.

Like you mentioned David, I probably should have dropped Qt and just looked at the code. I think most of my problems had to do with Qt. In the long run, I'm going to try to apply polyvox into something I can produce results from in my lifetime. Maybe panda3d, since it does have c++ support. Hopefully I can learn this.

Is there any benefit to compiling the docs vs. the docs on the website?

Thanks!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:42 pm 
Developer

edacsac wrote:
Maybe panda3d, since it does have c++ support. Hopefully I can learn this.

Matt and I have already had some discussion about what we will do after Voxeliens. We're currently expecting to abandon our 'Thermite3D' engine and integrate PolyVox with an existing engine. Panda3D is probably top of our open source list so I'll be intrested to know what you think of it.

edacsac wrote:
Is there any benefit to compiling the docs vs. the docs on the website?

The docs on the website should match the last snapshot so I wouldn't bother building them yourself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:30 am 

What's wrong with Thermite?

I'm trying to build Thermite right now, but I am experiencing build errors. Only 13 this time; DataStreamWrapper seems to be the main culprit.

I don't know that my opinion on Panda3d would be all that useful as I'm kind of looking for a place to jump in at the moment.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 am 
Developer

edacsac wrote:
What's wrong with Thermite?

It's not particualrly well written or robust, as it's just been a test project for what we could do with PolyVox. As such it's scope and aims have kept changing over the years, and it also lacks any kind of documentation.

Writing a game engine is a massive undertaking, espessially if you want it to actually be useful to other people (generic, documented, etc). So we'd rather focus on PolyVox and ensure that it is interoperable with the other popular engines which are available.

Actually where did you find out about it? I thought we'd removed most of the links.

Offline Profile