It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Internal Memory Storage/ Addressing of active Cells
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:37 am 

Hello,
I have a more theoretical question about PolyVox (if it had already been adressed or is explained elsewhere please redirect me, i didnt found anything yet)

What kind of approach does PolyVox use for Computation avoidance? Do you use a hierarchical geometric approach like an Octree or branch-on-need tree, Intervall-based approach like ISSUE or any other method?
Is it possible to decide which approach to choose (if there are more implemented) or is it possible to give PolyVox my own implemented approach?

Thanks and greetings,

Turtler

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Internal Memory Storage/ Addressing of active Cells
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:03 pm 
Developer

There are a couple of implementations of Volumes, such as the RawVolume (which stores everything as a single 3D array) and the PagedVolume (which breaks the volume down into blocks, allows them to be moved in and out of memory). You could also write your own implementation if you wish, and it will work with the PolyVox algorithms as long as you match the API interface.

However, these are not really forms of "computation avoidance", as I'm not sure PolyVox really does that much computation. It's not really intended for fluid simulation or anything like that. The main 'computation' would be running the Marching Cubes algorithm to extract the surface mesh, and it is really left to the user to specify for which parts of the volume they want to extract the surface.

Offline Profile