It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New website and domain
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 pm 
Developer

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I have been working on a new website for PolyVox. It's not finished yet but it seemed to be worth bringing it to your attention to get initial feedback. You can see the website here:

http://www.volumesoffun.com

I won't say too much more because I have already written a blog post about this (at that link). But do feel free to ask any questions or give any comments about the new site.

If anyone wants to try the modern features that would also be great. I.e. adding it to your blog roll, using the 'share' function to publish to Facebook/Twitter, or even just commenting. I haven't tested these much but they should just work as expected.

Hope you like it!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: New website and domain
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 am 

Quote:
Thermite3D will also remain on Gitorious, but it faces an uncertain future in that development may tail off.

i'm confused. are you planning a new game without thermite, just with polyvox?

also, i know the roadmap is in the wiki, but I'm sure many new visitors would also be interested in where this is going.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:45 pm 
Developer

Yes, it is certainly important for people to understand what is happening in this regard, so I will try to clarify.

At the moment I am working on a game, and it does use Thermite3D (which in turn uses PolyVox). However, in my opineon Thermite3D is not really useful to anyone except myself as it has no documentation, no defined API, etc. I also make breaking changes to it quite often. As far as I know there isn't anyone using it, though I'd be interested to know if this is not the case.

I don't really see this situation improving in the foreseeable future, and so it doesn't seem wise to be promoting it as a useable piece of software. On the other hand PolyVox is doing very well, I believe largely because the scope of that project it much smaller and more well defined. However, the name of the current website (thermite3d.org) implies that Thermite3D is the most important technology we are offering, which isn't really true.

Thermite3D will exist for at least my current project, and maybe for future projects. Or it may get rewritten... I'm not sure yet. But in any case I don't think it will be more useable, so I'd rather shift the focus of the website onto PolyVox as I still have big plans for this. People joining the community in the future will then probably not even hear about Thermite3D.

Regarding the roadmap, I expect the Thermite3D one will be removed from the new website whilst the PolyVox one will stay as it is.

Do ask if this is still not clear...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
Developer

Ok, this weekend I will try and move the forums accross to the new domain. This will probably mean the forums have to go offline for a short while, to prevent people posting at the same time that I'm trying to copy the data.

Once that is done I will post here with the new address, and will also update the links on this website.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 am 
Developer

Well, here we are! Forums have been sucessfully moved across and all data should still be intact.

Let us know what you think of the new style, and/or if you have any problems logging in or posting. You can contact us at 'admin <at> volumesoffun.com' if you can't post.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm 

Hi,

No problem logging in, and posting (if you can read this).

The new style is too white, and a bit overloaded, but maybe not so much more than the previous one :)

Cheers.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 pm 
Developer

Thanks, I really appriciate the feedback because I'm not really a web designer ;-)

But are you referring to the forum or to the main site (or both, of course they are quite similar)? And when you say it is 'too white' do you mean it should be darker or do you mean it should have more colour? Now that you mention it the forum pages are a bit bland.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm 

Well, you get a bit blind from all the white on the forum, i think thats what he meant ; )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:58 pm 

I was referring to the forum because I haven't checked the website yet.

That was just a preference. This is very personal. For me darker would be better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 am 

Possibly a bit more color would be nice. It is indeed very white.

Offline Profile