It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem building PolyVox
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 pm 

- I'm not English so there is probably some mistakes in my sentences, sorry -
Hi everyonne.
I tried to make my own voxel engine a few weeks ago, but I failed. So I decided to use PolyVox. I was expecting to find precompiled library files, but I apparently have to build the library by myself and then compile it etc.
The problem is that It's the first time I have to use Cmake, I never built any library before, and your documentation is very poor and not very well explained.
So I downloaded Cmake 2.8.8, installed (I'm on windows XP) it and then launched Cmake gui. I set the source directory and the build directory, and clicked on "configure", chose my configuration (CodeBlocks, MinGW), and clicked on finish. But I get errors on the output:

Code:
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:D:/Mes documents/Téléchargements/voxels ressources/PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:D:/Mes documents/Téléchargements/voxels ressources/PolyVox-GIT-2e4bf67/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I searched on the web during hours but didn't find anything interesting...
I just saw somewhere that it has something to do with the "PATH" variable, but, actually, I don't know what is the PATH variable, and how to change it ?
In fact I'm not sure it's the problem.
Can you help me :] ?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Problem building PolyVox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:48 am 
Developer

It looks like this isn't actually a problem with PolyVox I'm afraid, but is instead a problem with your setup of CMake or MinGW. For some reason CMake is failing to find your MinGW installation or MinGW is not installed properly. Looking on Google I can see that other people have had similar problems (e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6141 ... -not-found), but because I use Visual Studio rather than MinGW I can't help much myself.

Layl wrote:
I just saw somewhere that it has something to do with the "PATH" variable, but, actually, I don't know what is the PATH variable, and how to change it ?

You can read about environment variables here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable
There is also some information on how to change it here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

Hope that helps.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Problem building PolyVox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 am 

Oh, ok I'm sorry. I'm going to read your links. Thank's for your time !

Offline Profile