It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PolyVox compiling in VS2008! (Boost little subset)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 pm 

After getting ALL boost installed in my home PC, I realised that it's license is wonderfully permisive.

Quote:
The Boost license permits the creation of derivative works for commercial or non-commercial use with no legal requirement to release your source code. Other differences include Boost not requiring reproduction of copyright messages for object code redistribution, and the fact that the Boost license is not "viral": if you distribute your own code along with some Boost code, the Boost license applies only to the Boost code (and modified versions thereof); you are free to license your own code under any terms you like. The GPL is also much longer, and thus may be harder to understand.

This made me create this little subset of boost headers, allowing PolyVox to compile without neither C++0x nor the full boost library.

It's easier, I think.

Attachments:
shared_ptr.rar [149.54 KiB]
Downloaded 325 times
Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: PolyVox compiling in VS2008! (Boost little subset)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:27 pm 
Developer

That's great, but unfortunatly you are chasing a moving target! I've just started using std::function and std::hash for some pathfinding code I'm about to announce.

Actually, I thought that the VS2008 Service Pack added support for a number of C++0x features but I didn't get them working. Might be worth looking into if you don't want to use Boost...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:36 pm 

Oh... fuck... :lol:

Well, at least pathfinding is not mandatory =p
Also, I think I still have some code for it and it certainly doesn't require external dependencies, only a little tweaking to work with your volumes...

Still, I'd love to see PolyVox free of the C++0x oppression =p
Maybe I could roll some low level standard C++ code as an alternative for us oldschoolers :geek:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm 
Developer

onimatrix wrote:
Well, at least pathfinding is not mandatory =p

Well this is true, the pathfinding stuff uses templates again so it's mostly in headers files... I don't think you'll need function/hash to compile unless you actually use the pathfinder.
onimatrix wrote:
Still, I'd love to see PolyVox free of the C++0x oppression =p
Maybe I could roll some low level standard C++ code as an alternative for us oldschoolers :geek:

Come on, embrace the future! :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:20 pm 

Quote:
Come on, embrace the future! :P

There's three options to use C++0x that I know of.

First, boost. STL was one of the slowest implementations of algorithms I've known and boost works with it. Also, templates make messy, undebuggeable code. That a full installation of it requires 1.5 Gb is a pain in the ass, too. My netbook has 4 Gb of hard drive, after all...

Second, VS2010. It's slower than Eclipse. And that's in a dual core. In my EEEPC's Celeron 630 Mhz, I'm not even trying.

Third, gcc 4.3 (I think). If you keep using stuff from the future, I'll have to use something like QT Creator and Scons to feel as confortable as in VS2008.

I think that time dependant code (Such as pathfinding) should be as low level as possible. It HAS to be FAST.

C++ was about fast OO low level programming. It's no surprise that both the compilers and the debuggers don't understand half of what is going on.
For high level programming, other languages fare out better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 pm 
Developer

Well I was half-kidding about embracing the future, but it's also I serious point I guess. C++0x is not even officially standardised, but it does provide some really handy features. I'm not about to use any of the language changes (like auto, etc), but something like function is a nice way of handling callbacks.

I'll try to keep the use of C++0x to a minimum, and make sure it works with Boost as an alternative. I guess there's more people working with VS2008 than I realised ;-)

Offline Profile