It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Polyvox to Ogre Mesh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:27 am 

Ok so I found that it takes anywhere from 10 ms for a single voxel, to anywhere from 30 - 60 ms for a region with solid voxels so I think the execution is pretty good. I also looked at the full region update time and it stands at 70 ms. So Updating a region and it's neighbors is taking anywhere from a half second to a full second.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:00 am 
Developer

This does sound slower than the timings I posted previously, and this may be due to the using the LargeVolume rather then the SimpleVolume (though you'd need to test to be sure). As we've established, when you modify any given voxel the worst case scenario is that you have to update the region which contains that voxel and also up to three neighbouring regions (if the voxel which was modified is in the corner of a region). According to your timings this would take 4x70=280ms. I guess at this speed you can edit interactively but it may feel a bit slow. However, most voxels are not near the edges of regions and so in this case you only need to update one region when a voxel is changed (taking 70ms) which should feel fairly responsive.

These figures don't quite add up with your earlier measurments though:

drwbns wrote:
For example - 7 x 6 x 3 regions = 126 regions = 4128768 voxels. if 1 region is 32 x 32 x 32 voxels, it takes just under a minute a half to draw all the regions

If you have 126 regions at 70ms each, then it should only take a total of about 8 seconds. As it's taking significantly longer than this you probably have a bottleneck elsewhere, or you're still updating the regions multiple times.

Also, can you clarify this typo: "under a minute a half". Do you mean "under half a minute", or "under a minute and a half"?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:52 am 

I meant under a minute and a half. I can't switch to using a simpleVolume because I want to use infinite voxel space. I'm still doing a few timing tests along with removing any redundant region updates, but my time is still being spent updating neighbors. I still have yet to implement the region edge check for updating neighbors so I think I'll take a crack at that. Thanks

Offline Profile