It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: surgical simulation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm 

Hi every body¡¡¡
I am working in my phd in a surgical simulation, using ogre3d as 3d engine.
I am really happy with it till now but i need to incorporate some capabilities as cutting and drilling on a high detail normal mapped low res mesh from maya .
I would like to know if this polyvox library can provide this funtionallity or maybe i have to use a more specific one like SOFA, or 3dChai, OpenHaptics or whatever.
I have made some research of this matter and there are some solutions for this pourpose, as tethraedral meshes, FEM, and methaball physics for retopology the new cutted or drilled mesh, but dont know which is the best.

Thank you for your help .

Last edited by zamarron on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: surgical simulation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:47 pm 
Developer

Hi, there is definitely some potential here. Another of our users made a Dental Surgery Simulator (http://youtu.be/LfJ28IP1Zck?t=4m5s) with PolyVox and this features drilling into the tooth with some kind of haptic feedback. However, that's probably the limit of what you can do - i.e. PolyVox won't handle soft tissue, stress, strain, fracture, etc. It's just a maching cubes implementation for visualising the volume data.

Also, PolyVox is only working on volume data, so if you have mesh data then you would need to convert it. This might not be trivial.

If you give some more detail of your project then maybe I can give further information.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 pm 

How can i import a mesh like .obj, 3ds, , or even already voxelyzed (vox,,...), to polyvox?
What are the best physics to cave for example a volume??

thank you

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:07 pm 
Developer

I'm afraid there is no built in functionality to do this in PolyVox. You basically need to write a mesh voxelizer and there are many possible approaches to doing this.

You can find a friendly introduction here: http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/Triangl ... xelization

There are also various academic papers which provide more though coverage of the different algorithms.

Offline Profile