It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Build Problems
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:04 am 

Hello, I am an (Almost) complete novice when it comes to programming and I am having difficulty actually getting the library to be included in my VS2012 Project. I was wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction. Thanks! EDIT Ok I got it to compile. Had to rerun some things. Now I'm trying to figure out how to actually get it to #include properly. I keep having difficulty with it saying it can not open source file. Edit2 Woo got that. Now I'm getting the error: error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: class PolyVox::Vector<3,int> const & __thiscall PolyVox::Region::getLowerCorner(void)const " (?getLowerCorner@Region@PolyVox@@QBEABV?$Vector@$02H@2@XZ) referenced in function "public: int __thiscall PolyVox::BaseVolume<unsigned char>::getDepth(void)const " (?getDepth@?$BaseVolume@E@PolyVox@@QBEHXZ) This error only occurs when I actually go and try to build it using VS 2012 Express.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Build Problems
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:38 am 
Developer

For the latest error perhaps you are not linking against PolyVoxCore.lib? I don't have VS2012 but in VS2010 you go 'Project Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies' and make sure PolyVoxCore.lib is in the list. You might need to make sure it can find this library by setting 'Project Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Additional Library Directories' in the appropriate way.

Ddid you use CMake to build PolyVox, and have you got the examples working yet? If so you can just copy the include/linker settings from there.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 pm 

So far I've tried building with cmake and it did not give me the examples. I also can not find polyvoxcore.lib where would it be located?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:44 am 
Developer

SirSpence99 wrote:
So far I've tried building with cmake and it did not give me the examples. I also can not find polyvoxcore.lib where would it be located?

In order for the examples to build to need to have Qt installed so maybe you don't have this? After you run CMake and then bulid the resulting solution you should find the lib files in 'polyvox\build\library\PolyVoxCore\Debug' and/or 'polyvox\build\library\PolyVoxCore\Release'.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:29 pm 

I already installed QT but it appears that Cmake does not recognize that it is installed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:17 pm 
Developer

SirSpence99 wrote:
I already installed QT but it appears that Cmake does not recognize that it is installed.
When you are running the CMake gui, there should be an entry for QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE. Set that entry to point to the qmake.exe from your installed version of Qt.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm 

I'm trying to use cmake and qt but now I'm getting the error:
CMake Error at C:/Programming/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:61 (message):
The C compiler "C:/Programming/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe" is not able to compile a
simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: C:/Programming/PolyVox/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp
I have no idea how to fix this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
Developer

Matt is the best person to comment on this, but are you using the version of PolyVox from Git or the last stable relese? In your case I'd recommend the last stable version, as we have made some CMake changes since then which may be related to your issue.

@Matt - I thought I saw this error on the build machine today but I can't find it now. Maybe I'm going mad...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 am 

Alright I can not get cmake to build anything using vs2010 or mingw makefiles. SO I can't get QT to open it and I have visual studio 2012 express So I can't get the QT addin for vs. And I can't get cmake to actually build any examples that will run.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 am 
Developer

SirSpence99 wrote:
Alright I can not get cmake to build anything using vs2010 or mingw makefiles.

So are you saying that your problem appears to be with CMake rather than with PolyVox?

A few other things to keep in mind:
  • Qt is needed in order to build the examples and the tests but not the main library (PolyVoxCore.lib). It's useful to build these examples so you can see that everything is working, but if you have too many Qt-related problems then maybe it's not worth it.

• If you do want to use Qt to build the examples then you need to make sure you have a working Qt installation which CMake can find. I can't help so much with this though.
    • If you don't have/want Qt (or CMake can't find it) then CMake should still generate a working solution which builds the main library (PolyVoxcore.lib). As mentioned earlier this should be in 'polyvox\build\library\PolyVoxCore\Debug' and/or 'polyvox\build\library\PolyVoxCore\Release'.
  • If you really can't get CMake working then you do have the option of just copying the PolyVox source code into your own project, rather than building a seperate library and linking against that. You'll probably need good C++ experience to do this correctly though.

Offline Profile