It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Accidental Noise Library
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:46 am 

joeywatts96 wrote:
I'm getting low fps with Irrlicht, but I'm not sure how to improve it. I don't think it has anything to do with the volumes though. After a couple of 32x32x32 chunks have been extracted and rendered, it starts to slow down.

I am compiling Minetest to compare my results (I am not expecting similar results, but I just want to see if my hardware in this laptop just sucks, or its the video driver or something).

Minetest showed fine results with about 60 fps... what is the reason for slow fps in irrlicht and how can i improve it? I'm using a fairly standard setup using an IMeshSceneNode w/ an SMesh consisting of an IMeshBuffer with all the vertices and normals that the surface extractor uses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:52 am 
Developer

This performance problem is unlikely to be related to PolyVox so your probably better off asking in the Irrlicht forums. Are you sure you're not accidentally running the extractor every frame, or uploading the data to the GPU every frame? And you're runing a release rather than debug build?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 pm 

David Williams wrote:
This performance problem is unlikely to be related to PolyVox so your probably better off asking in the Irrlicht forums. Are you sure you're not accidentally running the extractor every frame, or uploading the data to the GPU every frame? And you're runing a release rather than debug build?

I'm probably uploading the buffer data to the GPU every frame... I'll look into this more, I'm not too experienced. Thanks for helping me, I know this isn't the Irrlicht forums.

EDIT:
My program was set to debug build. I'm rerunning it with a release build, but would this really slow it down a lot? why?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:18 pm 
Developer

joeywatts96 wrote:
My program was set to debug build [...] but would this really slow it down a lot? why?

Yes, this can have a significant effect. When in Debug mode a lot af additional checks are performed, such as validating memory accesses to make sure you don't go outside array bouds. Also assert()s are typically active (PolyVox has many of these) and optimizations are turned off.

It's possible that's you'll see a frame rate difference of 5-10x, though this isn't guarenteed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 pm 

Just to contribute a bit here: In my RawVolume-per-chunk with data overlapping engine (with all of its complications) + some libnoise stuff... in Debug, 16x16x128 chunk "loads" in 4-5 seconds, and in release - 2-3 chunks load in a second. Using Ogre, frame rate with 49 chunks looked from above is: Debig: ~200 FPS, Release: ~250 fps. Looking straignt up makes 1000 fps in release and ~500 fps in Debug (1000 is the FPS cap).

TODO: compare ANL vs LibNoise.

Offline Profile