It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: some problems
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 pm 

first, HI

I'm new here, I have some difficulties to use Polyvox. First, after the make install PolyVoxCore and PolyVoxImpl folders (with headers) were installed in /usr/local/include/PolyVoxCore while all headers are expecting to find PolyVoxCore and PolyVoxImpl folders in /usr/local/include/. For now I just copied the files where they should be.
My second problem, I'm trying to add polyvox in ogre, so I started here : http://www.volumesoffun.com/polyvox/doc ... me_in_ogre my problem is my compiler asking me to add -std=c++0x but whith make/cmake I don't know how to do that

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10

hope my english isn't too much crappy

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: some problems
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:39 pm 

I ran into the exact same problem.

Take a look at line 286 here to see my fix:

http://charlieb.hopto.org/gitweb/index.cgi?p=ogre_vox.git;a=blob;f=CMakeLists.txt

Also HI! and if my crappy basement server is down when you look, here's the line from my CMakeLists.txt:

Code:

if(UNIX)
     set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS ${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} "-std=c++0x")
     install(TARGETS OgreApp
                RUNTIME DESTINATION bin
                CONFIGURATIONS All)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm 

thx, your piece of code solve the problem about c++0x option. My code compil, I just want to notice that the code from http://www.volumesoffun.com/polyvox/documentation/dokuwiki/rendering_a_volume_in_ogre don't work as excepted, I think it should be better to remove this page, I supose it's outdated.

for now I try to adapt the tutorial 1 from polyvox to ogre.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm 

done,
my first screenie with PolyVox, not a sexy one I guess, as you can see I have some holes like the one near my pointer, but now I'm going to make my own framework and integer PolyVox.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 am 

nicoo wrote:
thx, your piece of code solve the problem about c++0x option. My code compil, I just want to notice that the code from http://www.volumesoffun.com/polyvox/documentation/dokuwiki/rendering_a_volume_in_ogre don't work as excepted, I think it should be better to remove this page, I supose it's outdated.

since I created that wiki page... would you mind telling me what did not work (and what you expected)? :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:27 am 
Developer

nicoo wrote:
I'm new here, I have some difficulties to use Polyvox. First, after the make install PolyVoxCore and PolyVoxImpl folders (with headers) were installed in /usr/local/include/PolyVoxCore while all headers are expecting to find PolyVoxCore and PolyVoxImpl folders in /usr/local/include/.

I think you are right... there may be an issue with the CMake file here. But I don't use Linux much so I'll let Matt check this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 pm 
Developer

David Williams wrote:
nicoo wrote:
I'm new here, I have some difficulties to use Polyvox. First, after the make install PolyVoxCore and PolyVoxImpl folders (with headers) were installed in /usr/local/include/PolyVoxCore while all headers are expecting to find PolyVoxCore and PolyVoxImpl folders in /usr/local/include/.
I think you are right... there may be an issue with the CMake file here. But I don't use Linux much so I'll let Matt check this.

Ok, so I've looked into this and you're right. I can fix it so that we'd have /usr/include/PolyVoxCore/Vector.h etc. but the question then is what we do with PolyVoxImpl. Should we make this a sub-dir of PolyVoxCore (/usr/include/PolyVoxCore/PolyVoxImpl/MarchingCubesTables.h) or a directory alongside it (/usr/include/PolyVoxImpl). The first option might seem a bit neater since it keeps the implementation details hidden away but I seem to recall that when we discussed all this we opted to have PolyVoxImpl alongside PolyVoxCore (and this is reflected in the directory layout in Git). Thoughts?

Now that I think of it, weren't we also talking about the possibility of merging some stuff into PolyVoxCore? Was that PolyVoxImpl or PolyVoxUtil?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:04 pm 

ker wrote:
nicoo wrote:

since I created that wiki page... would you mind telling me what did not work (and what you expected)? :)

you can't use
Code:
ogreMesh->beginUpdate(0);
{
      /.../
}
ogreMesh->end();

if there is nothing, you have to adapt your code by moving everything from the update in
Code:
ogreMesh->begin("BaseWhiteNoLighting", Ogre::RenderOperation::OT_TRIANGLE_LIST);
{
    // do nothing, this will be updated
   // no! you have to do something it's the LAW!! ;)
}
ogreMesh->end();

and iirc I have some trouble with
Code:
PolyVox::Volume<Material8> volume(128,128,128);

I change this for, (and still iirc I didn't found any doc about Material8)
Code:
   PolyVox::SimpleVolume<PolyVox::MaterialDensityPair44> volData(PolyVox::Region(PolyVox::Vector3DInt32(0,0,0), PolyVox::Vector3DInt32(200, 200, 200)));

I can't tell you more, because your page gave to me a good idea about the overall, then I prefered to use the lonely :? tutorial of polyvox

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 am 
Developer

milliams wrote:
Ok, so I've looked into this and you're right. I can fix it so that we'd have /usr/include/PolyVoxCore/Vector.h etc. but the question then is what we do with PolyVoxImpl. Should we make this a sub-dir of PolyVoxCore (/usr/include/PolyVoxCore/PolyVoxImpl/MarchingCubesTables.h) or a directory alongside it (/usr/include/PolyVoxImpl). The first option might seem a bit neater since it keeps the implementation details hidden away but I seem to recall that when we discussed all this we opted to have PolyVoxImpl alongside PolyVoxCore (and this is reflected in the directory layout in Git). Thoughts?

Now that I think of it, weren't we also talking about the possibility of merging some stuff into PolyVoxCore? Was that PolyVoxImpl or PolyVoxUtil?

I'll have to get back to you on this... we discussed it for quite a while and it was suprisingly complex. We wanted applications to be able to build against both source tree and installed version (mostly for the examples) and also to work on Windows and Linux (where the 'order' or directories was different (PolyVoxCore/include vs include/PolyVoxCore).

The PolyVoxImpl is 'private' stuff that no one except the PolyVox headers should include. In that sense it should be safe to move it into PolyVoxCore. There's nothing useful in PolyVoxUtils at the moment but in principle we might wantt it in the future. I've also though about a 'PolyVoxContrib' for any community provided code which could go in PolyVox but which we don't want to officially support.

I'll have a think and maybe we can sort it for the next release.

Offline Profile