It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Continuitybetween volumes
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am 

Hey there, I am currently testing around with PolyVox and I have a problem regarding the edges of volumes. Basically I am trying to create a procedural voxel terrain in Ogre3D using the SurfaceExtractor class. However, I am getting problems with the extracted volumes:

As you can see, SurfaceExtractor is creating edges between the meshes. However, I would like the terrain to be editable later on, so I guess the only option is to make the volume one voxel larger on each edge, extract only the edge of one of the volumes and update the edge voxels of both volumes if a change is made.
My question would be whether this is the only option I have or if there's another solution?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Continuitybetween volumes
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:55 pm 
Developer

Hi, this is actually quite a common problem, and the solution is simply that you should only work with a single volume. PolyVox contains classes such as LargeVolume which can support very large dimensions (subject to memory) so you should only need one of them.

You should still extract your mesh as a number of seperate parts though, so that when the terrain is modified you only need to update the parts which are affected.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 pm 

Hmm... So as far as I understand that class it basically has a fixed origin and lets me shift the loaded region around? That's pretty neat. :) Thanks

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:27 pm 
Developer

The volume bounds are fixed, yes, and it uses a Least Recently Used scheme to flush out data that hasn't been touched for a while. But you should really start small until you get everything working properly.

Offline Profile