It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can't compile devel branch due to a problem with QT5
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:16 pm 

It seems to me that cmake has a bug, or it is configured incorrectly or something like that. Since it finds Qt5 but then make install is not able to compile.

I'm now getting

Code:
In file included from ~/Documents/polyvox/examples/Basic/main.cpp:24:0:
~/Documents/polyvox/examples/Basic/OpenGLWidget.h:31:21: fatal error: QGLWidget: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

but then

Code:
~/Documents/polyvox/build$ find /usr/ -name 'QGLWidget'
/usr/local/Qt-5.3.0/include/QtOpenGL/QGLWidget

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10.

So I'm wondering. In what linux distribuition is Polyvox compiling at the moment? What method did you use to install QT5? (compile QT5, distro repository, etc)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Can't compile devel branch due to a problem with QT5
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:42 pm 
Developer

PolyVox currently compiles on OpenSUSE and Fedora, both using Qt packages from the official repositories. There is no reason why it shouldn't work in principle in Ubuntu.

It's possible there's a bug in the older version of CMake you're using (and if there is then we might have to raise the requirement). What version do you have?

Also, could you give the output of make VERBOSE=1 in the terminal from the build directory as that will print the actual include directories the compiler is seeing. For example, if I do it on my machine I see the following at the end:
Code:
[ 92%] Building CXX object examples/Basic/CMakeFiles/BasicExample.dir/OpenGLWidget.cpp.o
cd /home/matt/polyvox/build/examples/Basic && /usr/bin/c++   -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -g -fPIE -I/home/matt/polyvox/build/library/PolyVoxCore/include -I/home/matt/polyvox/library/PolyVoxCore/include -I/usr/include/qt5 -I/usr/include/qt5/QtOpenGL -I/usr/include/qt5/QtWidgets -I/usr/include/qt5/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt5/QtCore -I/usr/lib64/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g++    -std=c++0x -o CMakeFiles/BasicExample.dir/OpenGLWidget.cpp.o -c /home/matt/polyvox/examples/Basic/OpenGLWidget.cpp
and you can see that one of the options given to g++ is -I/usr/include/qt5/QtOpenGL which is where it's looking for QGLWidget.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:21 pm 

Ok, my cmake version is 2.8.9

And it seems from the verbose output that none of the qt5 folders are included:

Code:
[ 27%] Building CXX object examples/Basic/CMakeFiles/BasicExample.dir/main.cpp.o
cd /home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/build/examples/Basic && /usr/bin/c++   -DGLEW_STATIC -I/home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/build/library/PolyVoxCore/include -I/home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/library/PolyVoxCore/include -I/home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/examples/common    -std=c++0x -o CMakeFiles/BasicExample.dir/main.cpp.o -c /home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/examples/Basic/main.cpp
In file included from /home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/examples/Basic/main.cpp:24:0:
/home/pozzoe/Documents/polyvox/examples/Basic/OpenGLWidget.h:31:21: fatal error: QGLWidget: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

This is strange, since Qt5 is correctly detected when running cmake.

What version of cmake do you use? (btw, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu 12.10 do not provide Qt5.2, I was able to find a repository providing Qt 5.0.2 at most; I think the bleeding edge version 13.10 does provide Qt5)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 pm 

Ok, I was able to solve this issue and I'm writing this to let people know how I solved this problem (This comes to mind https://xkcd.com/979/)

First, Ubuntu 12.04 is the LTS version but it doesn't seem to be updated enough to work.

I installed Ubuntu 13.10 (latest at the moment) and this came with qt5 and cmake 2.8.11. After that, the install worked perfectly. I'm not sure if it was because qt5 was insalled properly now or because of some bug fix on cmake between 2.8.9 and 2.8.11

There were some weird issues regarding python bindings, I'll explain how I solved some of those here http://www.volumesoffun.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=577

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:58 pm 
Developer

As you have seen from the discussion on the BitBucket issue tracker I have also been having a lot of difficulty with the update to Qt 5. My problems are different, and are mostly related to the OpenGL situation for Qt 5 on Windows and the lack of prebuilt SDKs for the compiler I'm using.

I discussed this with Matt over the weekend and we basically agreed that the transition to Qt 5 is causing too many problems, and that we will revert to Qt 4 for now. In the future we will try to upgrade again, but this is probably at least one month away (maybe more). Perhaps by that time Qt 5 is better supported by the various Linux distros.

Offline Profile