It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: MLE Tech Demo :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:45 pm 

My boyfriend made a small video demo of the MLE Engine showing a world editor. No voxels implemented yet but I would like to hear comments if possible, what might be good to improve.

Known bugs shown there:
Grass movement is a bit wrong (something messed with the right vector transformation).
Decals not sticking precisely on terrain (not sure why, started once we changed from GPU ClipMaps to Chunked LoD, a change we're not sure if it will be the final considering ClipMaps might be better performance-wise and we might just go with full voxel terrain).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ54ueEYsN8&hd=1

Edit: Not sure if it's the place to say it but might get lucky ;) We're looking for additional team members, developers and modelers/artists mostly.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: MLE Tech Demo :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 pm 

I directly went to the youtube link and read your post afterwards :D
I did notice the screaming absence of voxels. oc now that I've actually read your post it makes sense... what do you mean by "yet"? are you planning to get voxels working in there? and if yes, for the world? only parts voxelized?
[edit] ok ... 20km area of 1m voxel blocks [/edit]

what kind of game are you planning?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 pm 

Open world RPG ;) Similar in style to Ultima, Morrowind... Would love comments, criticism, anything ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:12 pm 

I'm not too much of a rpg player... so this might be obvious to others, but how are you planning to use your voxels?
a static map that can be edited in only the editor? or slow/fast player modifications through some interaction with the surroundings?
I mean in a shooter it would be obvious: BOOOM -> cut out somewhat spherical shape of voxels...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm 

Oh, most likely as a static mesh for caves etc. Might add some mining and editing elements though. Also maybe alterable by magic and items.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Developer

Very nice :-) It needs some shadows though (or even just AO) to help ground the objects. Will you be making the maps by hand or generating them procedurally?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm 

I'd love to generate them actually but I haven't figured out a good algorithm. I heard fractal noise here and there but failed to find the actual algorithm on google. (or found one that was messy, in truth I didn't bother much) Any suggestions for algorithms?

We have plans to implement Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (already working in render monkey, just need to plug it in then) and also Cascaded Shadow Mapping (it's there but there is some weird bug, I guess I messed some of the math in the shader. My math skills are bad for the average programmer actually ^^)

Other post processing effects we're planning on are depth of field and maybe motion blur, I think that might be it for now though. We already have HDR in ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm 

that's cool. You may want to check out the link posted by David in that introduce yourself thread. It's on procedural generation using perlin noise.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 pm 

MLE now has clouds (dynamic) :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 pm 
Developer

Very nice, what approach did you use?

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next