It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Speed difference between RLE / shared-block PolyVox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm 

Hello,

I have been doing some testing between the version of my code that uses PolyVox from January (shared-block), and the April 05 version (RLE). I am using a fixed volume size with paging disabled.

I have noticed a very big speed difference between the two. I am aware that RLE will compress/de-compress blocks. However even with uncompressed block count in PolyVox set higher than my actual block use count, it is still much slower.

Is this purely because of changing block storage from std::vector to std::map ? Or are there other optimizations that would improve the speed of PolyVox in retrieving uncompressed blocks?

I am looking for any suggestions to speed things up, I don't mind making the changes myself.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Speed difference between RLE / shared-block PolyVox
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:40 pm 

Actually it might not be as bad as I thought. I really need some accurate testing to see what the real difference is.

Does anyone know a good application for profiling CPU time / memory use? I have tried using Very Sleepy but it crashes....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:23 pm 
Developer

For CPU profiling and bottleneck-finding, I've used Callgrind in the past (along with KCacheGrind) for visualising the logs. I guess they might only work on Linux.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 pm 

Thanks, I'll look into it. Might have to install Cygwin...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:34 pm 
Developer

There's also Google Perftools. I'm planning to try integrating this with the PolyVox examples at some point in the future.

Oh, and to answer your question, I think the main slow down wil indeed be the use of the map. I imagine it would be possible to swap it for an std::hash_map quite easily.

Also, as mentioned in another thread, in the future I might bring back the old volume and let it co-exist with the paged volume. Might be good to have more than one volume available.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 pm 

I'm curious about those speed tests...
I believe that for the SurfaceExctractor there should be no noticable difference because the VolumeSampler rarely calls getUncompressedBlock.

The Cubic Extractors don't use the VolumeSampler, but most calls to getUncompressedBlock should return immediately due to it having been called with the same coordinates the last time it was called.

but yes, profiling should show where the trouble lies.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:35 pm 
Developer

Unfortunatly the surface extractors aren't particularly smart about the order they traverse the voxels. Ideally they would process all the voxels in a given block before moving on to the next block, but actually they just process the whole requested region one slice at a time.

If you have a large region, and within it a block of size 32x32x32, then the surface extractor will enter that region, process 32 voxels, and then leave out the other side. It will then reenter that block 32x32 = 1024 times, and each time it has to find the block in the map. Hmmm... actually that's pretty horrific :-)

Anyway, the fact that the volume is made of blocks is an implementation detail which shouldn't be exposed to the surface extractors. However, the VolumeSampler does have knowledge of this. I think the VolumeSampler could have a 'moveToNextVoxelInRegion()' function which iterates over the voxels in the optimal order, and then the surface extractors should make use of this.

Actually I think this functionalilty used to exist, but it got lost at some point...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:49 am 

Unfortunately it seems that google perftools isn't fully ported over to windows yet, according to the documentation. Some of the tests failed on my computer.

Overall it seems like linux users are far better off when it comes to profiling. Valgrind, callgrind, google perftools, etc. Most of the windows packages I have found are commercial, and I don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars.

Maybe I should dust off my linux machine and get porting.... such a pain :(

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:24 am 

if you have a nice testing setup, it would be great if you posted the sources and commands here.
I'd like to run that on my 2 machines. so we can get a few results on different types of machines.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:59 am 
Developer

AMD CodeAnalyst is free and works on Intel processors as well I believe (though without some instrumentation features).

Offline Profile