It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Documentation viewer and generator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 pm 
Developer

I can't remember why I didn't reply to this, but I have some more free time now so I fleshed out the first tutorial. It raised some questions though:

1) It's possible to reference classes in the API docs from the tutorial, but is it also possible to reference particular functions? Such as Volume::getWidth()?

2) Is it possible to have an install step which copies the raw HTML as well as the Qt help files? I ask because it would then be a lot easier to copy the resulting folder onto the website.

3) Is it possible to change the colour scheme to match the API docs and website at all?

No rush of course, it's taken me long enough to get this stuff written.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:46 am 
Developer

David Williams wrote:
1) It's possible to reference classes in the API docs from the tutorial, but is it also possible to reference particular functions? Such as Volume::getWidth()?
Yes, it should be. If it doesn't work with the version of Doxylink that's currently in SVN then that's a bug. I'm working on a new version which will be more effective in matching these sort of things. For the meantime, just Put in
Code:
:polyvox:`Volume::getWidth`
and at some point it will magically start working :)

David Williams wrote:
2) Is it possible to have an install step which copies the raw HTML as well as the Qt help files? I ask because it would then be a lot easier to copy the resulting folder onto the website.
Yup, this shold be possible.

David Williams wrote:
3) Is it possible to change the colour scheme to match the API docs and website at all?
Yeah, Sphinx is very themeable. Taks a look at the manual page. You can change whole the theme (it comes with a few defaults) and for some of them you can tweak individual colours.

I'm away in Rome until Thursday on holiday but when I get back I can answer any more questions you have.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:54 pm 
Developer

milliams wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Yes, it should be. If it doesn't work with the version of Doxylink that's currently in SVN then that's a bug. I'm working on a new version which will be more effective in matching these sort of things. For the meantime, just Put in
Code:
:polyvox:`Volume::getWidth`
and at some point it will magically start working :)

Ok, great, it's in like that but it doesn't appear to work at the moment.

I'll have a look at the other points when I get a chance - in the mean time enjoy your holiday :-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 pm 
Developer

Hey Matt,

Regarding my point number 2, I've actually found that after building I get two folders in the 'build' folder called 'documentation' (which is the manual) and 'library' (which is the API docs). Actually the links from the manual to the API docs appear to work correctly on my machine, but it seems there is an incorrect slash which causes problems on the website.

I just uploaded the latest version of the documentation so you can see what I mean. The Tutorial 1 is here:

http://www.thermite3d.org/resources/doc ... rial1.html

And the link to the Volume class is:

Code:
http://www.thermite3d.org/resources/documentation/polyvox/documentation/.\../library/doc/html/class_poly_vox_1_1_volume.html

Whereas it should be:

Code:
http://www.thermite3d.org/resources/documentation/polyvox/documentation/./../library/doc/html/class_poly_vox_1_1_volume.html

Any ideas? Anyway, I'm going to update the links on the main site to make the documentation a bit more obvious...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm 
Developer

David Williams wrote:
Any ideas?

Yes, I think I've just fixed this. It was a little problem due to telling Python to use the system's path separator for joining parts of URLs together. In Windows of course it uses '\' which confuses the web browser. I've changed it to always use '/' for joining.

The version of Doxylink which I've just uploaded uses a completely new parsing system which adds an external dependency to the build system. In order to build the manual you'll need PyParsing (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyparsing/ or http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/) installed. If you think this is a bit heavy then we can add PyParsing directly to our SVN since it's only 1 Python file? Please test it and let me know if you have any problems.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55 pm 
Developer

Great work, I've uploaded a new version of the documentation in which the linking works properly now. You can see it here:

http://www.thermite3d.org/resources/documentation/polyvox/documentation/index.html

Tutorial 1 has links to API doumentation such as the olume class. Later on I'll update the main menu on the site, as the documentation is a bit hard to find at the moment.

I got PyParsing installed without any problem, but I'll leave it up to you as to what parts need to be in SVN.

Offline Profile