It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLE Tech Demo :)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:11 pm 

put some debug output on every draw command (especially output the number of vertices and indices)

start editing until the bug happens, then compare the log of your last edit with the regular edits.
also create an unload-callback that just says "WARNING DATA LOSS"... that way you can be sure it's not that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:11 pm 
Developer

To narrow down your bug remember that you can turn paging off completely by constucting a fixed size volume. You can also disable compression in case this is related to the issue.

Also, you might want to implement some kind of 'reset' function which regenerates all the PolyVox meshes in you environment without worrying about whether they have been modified. Bind this to a key and run it when you see a problem. Then you can see whether it is the mesh or the volume data which has the problem.

As for your LOD question, I imagine that however you do the LOD it could potentially cause problems with triplanar texturing. You will have to do some research here or just try to minimise the problem. And as for implementing it in real time, I personally would investigate storing a lower resolution version of the volume and then generating a lower resolution mesh from that. As has been mentioned in the past, there may be cracks between LOD levels but I would try to cover them up by overlapping the LOD levels. This is completely untested though :-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 am 

I am actually constructing it with a fixed size. But it might be that I am still using an older version so paging isn't disabled with fixed size?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:31 pm 
Developer

Possibly... only way to be sure is to get the latest version :) But I really think the 'reset' functionality will be the most useful way of determining whether the problem is with PolyVox's Volume and/or mesh extraction or with you own change tracking logic.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 pm 

Latest edition to MLE: Point Light Shadows

2 lights there (colored ones) are point lights with their own shadows, the third shadow is from the usual cascaded shadow map.

I still need to add soft shadowing to the point lights but other than that I hope this new feature will make cave/dungeon experience (which is THE reason for us to use PolyVox) a whole new thing :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:42 pm 
Developer

Looking great as always :-)

By the way, I forget if I mentioned this but we have a Projects using PolyVox page for promoting projects which use the library. So if at any point you want your engine added then just let us know.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:43 pm 

David Williams wrote:
Looking great as always :-)

By the way, I forget if I mentioned this but we have a Projects using PolyVox page for promoting projects which use the library. So if at any point you want your engine added then just let us know.

Thanks David :)

I do want to and I will let you know. It is just that I am a failure at web-site design so I kind of left it for dead.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:44 pm 
Developer

Don't worry, you don't need to do any web design. Whenever you are ready you can just send me the text and screenshots and I'll format it the same as the other projects.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:24 pm 

On a side note, Mimi just got a job as an engine programmer at Frontier :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 am 

When is Elite 4 coming out??? An elite clone is definitely in the future for me.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next