It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Coral Reef interactive
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:30 am 

I have been working on an interactive project based around a coral reef environment, and I use polyvox to realise a dynamic, growing (and decaying, once my pollution elements are introduced) reef.

a video of the PoC is at: https://www.youtube.com/v/Q3uQ8bPVRkY?v ... 3&vq=hd720

It is very much a Tech demo at this point, so yes, I know, some of the fish are drunk.

Some more info is available at: http://bevr.co.nz/coralreef.html

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Coral Reef interactive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:11 pm 
Developer

Very cool stuff, though my eye was drawn to the drunken fish rather than the reef! But I'm curious, is this a research project, a commercial project, or just something you are working on for fun?

I bet you could come up with some interesting procedural algorithms (based on fractals?) for coral reef generation.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Coral Reef interactive
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 am 

Hi David,

Its aimed at being a commercial project - in that I am seeking external funding to fully develop and deploy it as a large-scale interactive, possibly in a museum, aquarium, marine education center or in a public area as a city council project or similar. That being said it is more art project than revenue-generating product, which makes it something of a hard sell - I'm not quite sure where things will go from here.

The coral is currently generated by something like a cellular automata - polyp voxels spawn new polyp voxels, or die, under the influence of random weights.. theres plenty of work to do on this and other aspects of the project to make it really polished.

Offline Profile